Thursday, September 24, 2009

DIABETES AWARENESS FOR HEALTHY LIFE


Living with diabetes could be cumbersome at one point but it could also be challenging most of the time. You can't say no when the day for checkup comes. I will be traveling quite a distance to the hospital and while on the way, I always have to put up two things to ponder on - did I succeed or fail? So I will sit back to recall the food I ate, the medicine I took, if I had my prescribed exercise and think about a lot of the do's and dont's. The results of the clinical tests in my recent checkup revealed that my blood sugar level is still uncontrolled, so my insulin dosage was upped by only 1mg/dl (lang naman). My creatinine test result indicates that my kidney is no longer angry. My cholesterol and uric acid levels which were not addressed to yet by my nephrologist because they were not on alarming stage then, are now his next concern. He prescribed Crestor for my cholesterol and advised me on what food to avoid for my uric acid. With these additional burden I started to make intensive readings regarding my ailment especially about diabetes. And I stumbled on this -My Daily Guide in Managing My Diabetes, Abbott and this is what I've learned.

Diabetes is known to many as a body condition where there is increase of sugar in the blood. Little is known by them also as regards to the complication of excess sugar in the blood. This lack of awareness has in fact, given rise to the number of people suffering from diabetes the world over.

It is important to know initially, that blood sugar or blood glucose is our body's main source of energy. Without energy, we can't move around and do our work. Excess sugar or lack of it in our body can cause life-threatening diseases. It is therefore important that everyone should know the normal level of our blood sugar. For example, an adult female like me, has normal level at 60-120 mg/dl or 3.8-6.1 mmol/L.

Prolonged uncontrolled blood sugar level, either high or low, can lead to various complications such as diabetic retinopathy (eye diseases), diabetic nephropathy (kidney disease), and diabetic neuropathy (nerve diseases). Retinopathy leads to visual impairments the worst of which is blindness. Nephropathy is the disease of the kidney which would need dialysis or kidney transplant to cure it. Neuropathy affects the blood vessels and nerves most particularly of the lower limbs which can result to amputation. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy.

More and more people today are becoming diabetics. Probably because blood sugar that is above normal but below 160 mg/dl doesn't show symptoms at all. It's when it rises to 180 mg/dl that symptoms appear. The classic symptoms are frequent urination and bowel movement, excessive thirst and hunger, loss of weight, itchiness in one's private parts.

There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas cannot produce insulin, a hormone that regulates blood sugar. It may begin from childhood or may occur at any age. Type 2 diabetes is a condition when the body doesn't respond to the insulin produced by the pancreas. Body cells don't use the insulin until the pancreas loses its ability to produce the natural insulin. In both types insulin shots are needed to keep blood glucose level down.

The complications of diabetes must not be taken for granted. Diabetes can be managed. Improved glycemic control benefits both types. Glucose control can cut down the risk of microvascular complications or diseases of the eye, the kidney, and the nerves. Heart disease and stroke that are related to diabetes can also be prevented and controlled. Blood pressure of adults must be kept at 120/80 mmhg. Cardiovascular complications can also be reduced when we keep our cholesterol or blood lipids at normal level such as; HDL at 30-80 mg/dl, LDL at 65-175 mg/dl, and Triglycerides at 0.1-2.1 mmol/L for female adults.The normal value of creatinine at 44.2-150.3 mmol/L can cut the risk of kidney diseases.

Diabetics need help from their physicians. Working close together, treatment and medication will go on smoothly. Preventive care practices are not learned just anywhere from anybody. The best management is forged between the patient and the doctor to ensure proper management. Life can still be healthy for diabetics who possess good understanding of their condition and strict self-discipline in management.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails