Thursday, August 20, 2009

YOU CAN BE A POSSIBILITY PLANNER

"Commit thy works unto the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established." Proverbs 16:3

This Bible verse was my motivating factor in the successful completion of my masteral thesis entitled, "Oral Reading Miscues and the Reading Comprehension of Grade Six Pupils: Their Relationship". Among ten(10) regional scholars under the MECS-PSU Scholarship Grant, I was awarded the highest honors upon graduation, "Academic Excellence", for my first-of-its-kind thesis and of course my performance as a whole as a scholarship grantee in 1987.

I would have pursued my great love and passion for my expertise on Reading at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City where I was also a state scholar under the Language Education Council of the Philippines (LEDCO) Scholarship Program on a short term course (one semester) in 1985. My course, "Teaching English as a Second Language in Bilingual Education"(TESL), created in me an ardent desire to pursue a study on grade school pupils' reading strategies and how these affect their understanding of what was read. If I continued my studies there, I would have spent a lot on my own. I would no longer be covered by the scholarship as it was only on a short term basis.

Between my aspiration to have a post graduate degree and to build our own house, I selected the latter. If I did not, it would be unfair on the part of my husband who sacrificed so much by working abroad that time to help augment our income for that project. And besides I agreed with his noble plan to quit his job as a mechanical engineer at the National Irrigation Administration, Dagupan Branch for obvious reasons. I was half-contented that I only finished the academic requirements for my first post-graduate course on Administration and Supervision (minus thesis) in 1979. But becoming an administrator was slowly being pushed out of my mind. I wanted more, but, I, too, must sacrifice.

It was much to my surprise that just after I completed my LEDCO studies, I was offered a full course study grant by MECS-PSU. My desire to pursue my studies on reading materialized because of divine intervention. I didn't spend any amount on my own as a scholar. I received monthly stipend from the government up to its completion.

My point really here is, we humans, are just planners. We can be possibility planners. If we put our trust in the Lord, the final executor, and surrender all our plans to Him, blessings will come to us. He will always make a way because He is the perfect planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails